Thursday 8 December 2011

33 weeks 5 days

It’s now 3.35am, Thursday 8th December 2011 and for the third night in a row I am up because I do not want to disturb hubby’s sleep with my constant scratching, itching, tossing & turning.

I love being pregnant and had a relatively good first and early second trimester. I LOVE being future mommy to my twins but the reality of being pregnant with multiples hit me around week 24.

SOME OF THE 3RD TRIMESTER PREGNANCY SYMPTOMS I HAVE:

OEDEMA
My feet and ankles started swelling around week 24. At first propping my feet up overnight kinda helped with bringing the water retention down but from week 30 onwards it has stayed swollen and nothing I do could bring it down. My calves, ankles and feet are the same size now and it hurts sometimes to even walk! Hubby and I think my legs look like they belong to Shrek.

PUPPP
I have developed PUPPP (it stands for Pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy) – big name but in short it just means I have broken out in VERY VERY itchy rashes. Started a few weeks ago on my feet and in the last week it has spread to my belly, butt and thighs. It gets very bad in the evenings as they start to break out like hives (no kidding!) and the skin is very hot when you touch it. I have tried prescribed anti histamines, cortisone creams, calamine lotion, aloe vera gel… other than a very temporary relief, nothing has worked. Unfortunately my gynea said it’s something I have to put up with until the twins arrive.

HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE
My blood pressure has been up and down in the 3rd trimester and in the last week it has been consistently high. Luckily they haven’t found traces of protein in my urine yet (which is usually an indication of something more serious like preeclampsia). The high BP however has left me with headaches most of the time.

SUGAR IN URINE
Self-explanatory. This means I have to give up some of the treats I used to enjoy like cakes, ice cream and Chatime!

DIARRHEA
Contrary to what most pregnant woman experience (constipation), my body system seems to work the opposite way. I have been having constant diarrhea in my last trimester. As a result I have cut back massively on oily and spicy food but it doesn’t seem to be the problem. I guess this is one thing I shouldn’t complain about as I would rather be having diarrhea than constipation any time!

LOWER BACK PAIN
Needless to say, with the weight of 2 babies, 2 water bags, 2 placentas it’s gonna hurt my back a little. It has been so difficult sitting, sleeping, getting out of cars, walking etc etc for a few weeks now and each morning I wake up feeling like I feel heavier. The worst time is actually sleep time for me as no position seems to be comfortable. I am finding it difficult to even move in bed now.

Anyway! When I started this blog I have wanted to keep things positive….. tonight’s post seems to be the most depressing one but I guess being awake at 3 something in the morning has something to do with it.

Hubby called the hospital today to push forward my 34 week scan from Friday to well, yesterday (Wednesday) as my rash is getting really bad and he is concerned about my lack of sleep, constant headache etc.

Happy to report that at 33 weeks 4 days the twins both weigh 1.7kgs. The boy seems to have caught up but the girl hasn’t grown much since the last scan (which of course bothers me a lot!). My gynea picked up my anxiety and worry and he has scheduled another scan for me next week to check on both their weights again. We did however see both the heartbeats today and the gynea seems happy.

Our scheduled C-Section is on the 28th December 2011 at 36 weeks 4 days which is 3 weeks away! Our gynea predicts that the twins will be around 2kgs or slightly over the 2kgs mark and I am praying they stay put until then. I am hoping so much they don’t need the NICU and that when they arrive their lungs are ok, they can regulate their own body temperature and they can latch on.

Though I am so anxious to meet them and have them outside so all my symptoms can go away, I also know it will totally break our hearts if they needed special care in NICU. So, better I suffer another 3 weeks so they can keep cooking a little longer and hopefully come out healthier and stronger!

No comments:

Post a Comment